Daughtry, Woodard, Lawrence, & Starling

Smithfield: 919-300-6982

Call Us Today Clinton: 910-249-9165
Se Habla Español
Experienced Attorneys
On Your Side
The attorneys of Daughtry, Woodard, Lawrence, & Starling
The attorneys of Daughtry, Woodard, Lawrence, & Starling

Do North Carolina courts oversee custody for new residents?

On Behalf of | Oct 26, 2022 | Family Law

After you and your spouse divorced, you may have decided that North Carolina offers you greater job opportunities or a better quality of life and have taken up residence in the state. Now that you are here, you might wonder whether the state courts will take over your child custody case or not.

According to the North Carolina Judicial Branch website, the question of jurisdiction depends on the location of every individual who is a party to the custody arrangement. Here is a look at when your new home state might be able to oversee your case.

When out-of-state custody orders take precedence

You might have moved to North Carolina but your child still lives in your old home state, or both you and your child have made your residency in the Tar Heel State. However, the other parent has never left your previous state. In this instance, the courts from your old state will still have jurisdiction over your custody case and can issue legal custody orders.

When North Carolina courts take over

Your situation might change if the other parent chooses to leave your previous state. If this becomes the case, you may have a North Carolina judge enforce an existing custody order or alter it. This places courts in the state in charge of your case. However, you will have to register your custody order through a petition available on the North Carolina courts’ website.

Once North Carolina has jurisdiction over your case, you may want a state judge to look at different issues such as collection or modification of your support or parental relocation. Please contact our law firm to learn more about how custody cases work in North Carolina.