- Partner, 1982
James R. Lawrence, Jr. (Jimmy) is a partner in the law firm of Daughtry, Woodard, Lawrence, & Starling and has been with the firm since 1982. He represents the Johnston County Board of Education and works primarily in Criminal Law, Education Law, Personal Injury Law, and Small Corporations. He is experienced in both Superior Court and District Court jurisdictions as well as Administrative Hearings and has extensive trial experience in all venues. He is admitted to practice in the Federal Courts of North Carolina as well.
He graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1973 and graduated from Cumberland School of Law at Samford University in Birmingham, Alabama in 1976. He was an Assistant District Attorney for the Eleventh Judicial District from 1976 to 1981. He then went into private practice with Daughtry, Woodard, Lawrence, & Starling.
He is a former president of the Johnston County Bar, the Eleventh Judicial District Bar, and has held offices in both organizations over the years. He is a former Chair of the North Carolina Bar Education Section and a former Chair of the North Carolina Council of School Attorneys. He is still active in the Council of School Attorneys and is a standing member of the Executive Committee of the Council of School Attorneys.
He is a member of Centenary United Methodist Church in Smithfield, NC and formerly served on the Administrative Board of the Church. He is married to Lillian Montgomery Lawrence and they have three adult children, all have graduated from the greater University of North Carolina.
Areas Of Practice
- Criminal Law
- Education Law
- Personal Injury Law
- Small Corporations
- North Carolina
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, Birmingham, Alabama
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Johnston County Bar, Former President
- Eleventh Judicial District Bar
- North Carolina Bar Education Section, Former Chair
- North Carolina Council of School Attorneys, Former Chair
Past Employment Positions
- Eleventh Judicial District, Assistant District Attorney, 1976 to 1981
Pro Bono Activities
- Executive Council Member, Education Section, North Carolina State Bar
- Former Chair, Education Section, North Carolina State Bar
- Former President, Johnston County Bar, 11th Judicial District Bar
- Former Chairperson, North Carolina Council of School Attorneys
- Executive Committee of the Council of School Attorneys, Standing Member